I had actually been encouraging my kids to try out some more DIY style activities for the past year or so. After seeing how popular homemade slime was becoming, I figured that would be a great activity to do at home with my two kids. So off to the store we went to pick up all of the necessary ingredients we would need to make our first batch.
After a few failed attempts, we finally figured out how to make a fluffy rainbow slime that is as soft as a cloud. If you’ve been trying to figure out something cool to do with your kids (that they’ll actually really enjoy doing as well), then give this slime recipe a shot — it will show you exactly how we make our own rainbow slime!
Whenever you’re making homemade slime, you’re always going to need to use something as an “activator”. If you’re wondering what I mean by that, an activator is a liquid solution that will help to hold your glue together in order to form the slime.
For this rainbow slime, you’ll just need to use one cup of Borax mixed with one cup of water in a small glass or jar. Just make sure that you use hot water when making your activator or else it won’t mix properly.
Set the activator to the side and then mix together ½ cup of clear (or white) school glue with ½ cup of shaving foam and ½ cup of liquid soap until they’re well combined. You can then stir in one tablespoon of cornstarch before adding the green food coloring (you can use either liquid or gel food coloring, both options work great for making slime) and ¼ teaspoon of body lotion.
You can then slowly stir in your activator, ½ teaspoon at a time, until the mixture forms into a slime that’s somewhat hard to mix. Now you can go ahead and pick up the slime to start kneading and stretching it.
Once the slime is properly mixed, you can set it aside and repeat the above directions to make more slime, only this time you’ll be using your yellow, pink, and blue food coloring.
Once you’ve got all four colors of slime ready to go, carefully lay them all on top of each other and then knead and twist them one last time — just be careful not to do it too much or you run the risk of them all mixing together into just one color!
P.S. – Some of you may be wondering about specific ingredients to use when making your own homemade rainbow slime. You can actually order everything you’ll need online — that’s what I always do (tends to save me quite a bit in the long run). Here are a few of the specific products I used when making this slime recipe:
1 cup water
1 tsp Borax
2 cups clear or white school glue
2 cups shaving foam
2 cups liquid hand wash soap
4 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp body lotion
pink, blue, yellow and green liquid or gel food coloring
1. To make the activator, in a glass or a jar place the water and borax and stir until dissolved. Set aside. (see note*)
2. To make the green slime, in a bowl place ½ cup of glue, ½ cup of shaving foam and ½ cup of liquid soap and mix to combine.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and stir until smooth.
4. Add green coloring and ¼ teaspoon of body lotion and mix to combine.
5. Slowly add the activator (½ teaspoon at a time), stirring slowly as you pour it, until the slime forms and it begins to get harder to mix.
6. Take the slime out and begin kneading and stretching it.
7. If you find it still too sticky, use gloves or add some baby oil to your hands. (see note**)
8. Knead and stretch until the slime stops sticking to your hands.
9. Once mixed, set the slime aside.
10. Repeat the above recipe to make the yellow, pink and blue slime.
11. Once all four slimes have been created, lay the four slimes on top of each other and begin to knead and twist! (see note***)
*This amount of activator is enough for all four slimes.
**If necessary, keep adding the activator until desired consistency.
*** If you knead too much, it will just become one color.