Bread is a staple food of families around the world. There’s nothing quite like the taste of a peanut butter sandwich on fresh bread. Unfortunately, commercial manufacturers of store-bought bread add preservatives to the dough to increase shelf life. These additives create gastrointestinal inflammation and leave you feeling bloated and tired after eating a couple of sandwiches.
Bring the nutritional value back to your bread with this recipe for Instant Pot whole wheat sandwich bread that tastes fantastic! Our method includes only organic ingredients and fresh, whole wheat flour available from your local health food store. Give it a shot the next time you have a craving for fresh bread.
Homemade Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread for the Family
Our recipe for whole wheat bread starts with sourcing organic ingredients. Try and find a gluten-free flour at your local health food store. Gluten is a protein found in wheat that has the potential to give your family an upset stomach. (1)
Many people are mildly allergic to gluten, and some people even suffer from a condition known as “celiac disease.” This disorder creates inflammation in the GI tract that gives an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach and may result in adverse reactions such as bloating, nausea, and diarrhea.
Choosing a gluten-free flour will ensure that you circumvent any possible reactions to this protein.
Start your preparation by mixing the ingredients for the dough. Take a large mixing bowl and add the flour, along with the yeast and salt. Add in the water and stir the mixture gently until it has a smooth consistency. As you mix the dough, hum a happy tune, it will make the time pass quickly and pour some love into the mixture. (2)
Line your Instant Pot with parchment paper. Place the dough on top of the paper and set the Instant Pot to the “yogurt” setting and adjust the timer to 4-hours. When it’s ready, pull the dough from the pot and work it into a giant ball before returning it to the Instant Pot for another 30-minutes. While you’re waiting, pre-heat your oven to 450ºF and place a Dutch oven inside the oven to heat it through.
Transfer the dough to the Dutch oven and bake for 30-minutes. As the bread bakes, you’ll notice the smell of the ingredients baking, and it will become more intense as the dough rises. When its golden brown, pull it from the oven and let it cool for 30-minutes.
Instant Pot Bread Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
1 ½ cups lukewarm water
I recommend the Instant Pot DUO60 if you don’t have an Instant Pot yet or wanted to upgrade. It’s my all-time favorite kitchen gadget! LOVE, love, love it.
How to Make Instant Pot Whole Wheat Bread
1. In a bowl combine the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt and yeast.
2. Stir in the water until a chunky, thick dough forms.
3. Place the dough on top of a piece of parchment paper and put inside the Instant Pot.
4. Close and seal the Instant pot.
5. Press YOGURT button and adjust the timer to 4 hours.
6. Grab the sides of the parchment to lift the dough out of the pot.
7. Gently scrape the dough out onto a well-floured surface.
8. Quickly form a ball, place back on the parchment paper, and put inside the Instant Pot.
9. Close and seal the Instant pot.
10. Press YOGURT button and adjust the timer to 30 minutes.
11. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
12. Place a Dutch oven in the oven, cover with a lid and preheat for 30 minutes.
13. Transfer the dough and parchment together into the hot Dutch oven, cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes.
14. Remove the lid and bake for 10-15 minutes more or until golden brown.