My kids both love to make interesting kinds of slime like rainbow slime or slime that glows in the dark. But personally? My favorite kind of slime to make is glitter slime. I think it turns out so cool — I just hate having to clean up the resulting mess that you always get whenever you use glitter.
Or rather I used to hate having to clean that mess up — now I know how to make glitter slime that doesn’t glitter-up your whole house. I’ll show you exactly how to make it as well with this glitter slime recipe.
For making this glitter slime, you’ll be using about one tablespoon of contact lens solution for your activator. While I’m not personally against using borax to make slime, contact lens solution or a saline solution are definitely my preferred choices when it comes to the activator.
I also don’t like using those pre-made glitter glues that you can find in stores. I’d rather use clear school glue when making all of our slime recipes, and this one is no exception. You’ll first need to add ½ cup of clear school glue into a small bowl to get started making your glitter slime.
Add in the baking soda next and stir until smooth. You can then add in your preferred choice of food coloring. For making glitter slime, I usually like to go with a yellow or purple food coloring. After mixing in the food coloring, you can then carefully add in your desired amount of glitter.
All that’s left to do now is to add in your contact lens solution activator. Slowly stir it in until the slime forms and the mixture starts to harden. You can then take the slime out and begin to knead and stretch it until it’s ready to play with.
Make sure to always remind your kids to place their glitter slime in an airtight container or jar when they’re done playing with it as well!
P.S. – We have a few other fantastic slime recipes that are super fun to make as well. If you’re interested in checking them out, have a look below:
½ cup clear school glue
1 ½ tsp baking soda
your choice of food coloring
1 tbsp contact lens solution, more or less, as needed (see note*)
1. In a bowl place the glue.
2. Add the baking soda and stir until smooth.
3. Add your choice of food coloring and mix to combine.
4. Stir in the glitter.
5. Slowly add the contact lens solution, stirring slowly as you pour it, until the slime forms and it begins to get harder to mix.
6. Take the slime out and begin kneading and stretching it.
7. If you find it still too sticky, use gloves or add some baby oil to your hands. (see note**)
8. Knead and stretch until the slime stops sticking to your hands.
9. Once mixed, you can play with the slime immediately or store in an airtight container or jar for future play.
*Contact lens solution must have boric acid and sodium borate in the ingredient list.
**If necessary, keep adding the contact lens solution until desired consistency.